Friday, September 1, 2017

Resurrection (of a blog)


I should note, before I get too far into these blog posts, that I have resurrected this dormant blog to .   serve as a travelogue.  For the last three years this blog has sat idle.  New responsibilities as a bi-vocational pastor made it difficult to find time to write.  But now I have an opportunity that many have asked me to keep them updated on, and this venue seems perfect for the task. Many of you know the backstory, but some may not.  So here is the thumbnail.  
Months ago, on a whim, I applied for a scholarship from the Biblical Archaeology Society for the opportunity to work on an archaeological dig.  I filled out the paperwork, sent it off, and then largely forgot about it, considering it a wildly unrealistic long shot.  Months later, long after I would have expected to hear, I received an e-mail informing me that I had received the scholarship.  I remember opening that e-mail and not having words to express to Sue what the message said.  
I had selected a dig at Hippos Sussita, one of the ten cities in the decapolis, a loose confederation of Roman cities from the height of the Roman Empire.  The city sits on a mound overlooking to Sea of Galilee on the eastern shore.  It is never mentioned by name in the Bible, but is often identified as the "city on a hill" that Jesus might have been referring to as he taught along the shores of the sea.  It was a Gentile city with all the classic marking (an amphitheater and odeum - small theater, a forum, a basilica, bath houses, etc.) as well as a number of churches from later in their history.  I chose this sight primarily for two reasons.  First, a short two week dig season.  Second, a dig season that was not in the height of summer, which is my busiest time for work.  Both of these made this particular dig seem feasible.
The last few months has been spent making arrangements for my travel and taking a deep dive into  biblical archaeology.  It's a topic I have been interested in casually for a number of years.  This has given me opportunity to dig deeper (so to speak).
So this blog will keep you posted over the next two weeks of my experiences here.  I make no promises as to how often I will post.  As I have time and interest, I suppose.


No comments:

Post a Comment