Saturday, September 2, 2017

A Tale of Two Beaches

I arrived in Tel Aviv Thursday night and my bus to Ein Gev in Galilee (my true destination) didn't leave until Friday at noon.  With Friday morning free, I walked to the beach in Tel Aviv, a glorious stretch along the Mediterranean Sea.  I had limited time, So I didn't plan on swimming or spending long there, but I did want to dip my toes in.  I preface this by saying that I am not much of a beach person.  I prefer hiking in the mountains and forests to laying on a beach. That said, this beach was absolutely stunning.  This was no Adirondack beach (which isn't saying much).  Nor is it a Jersey Shore beach.  The sand is much finer than any I have ever felt - smaller grains, whiter color.  The area is highly developed with beach shelters and rows of chairs on the beach, high rise hotels along the beach, and dining and entertainment sites bubbling out from every seam.  But it is magnificent and inviting.    
Beach, chairs, shelters and high rise hotels

Fountainat entrance to Bethlehem beach in Tel Aviv

Paved area for walking, running, biking


Later that day I took the three hour bus ride to Ein Gev on the Sea of Galilee.  I didn't get to dip my toes in until the next day (today).  What a difference.  The water is equally warm in both places - not the cooling dip you would hope for in this heat.  But the beach on Galilee was not the fine sand of Tel Aviv.  Here, the shoreline is covered with large smooth stones.  The water level has receded significantly due to on-going drought.  As a result, the "beach" keeps moving further and further out into what was sea bed - rocky sea bed.   There is a patch of sandy area near the breakwall where the beach used to reach, but now a long walkway brings you out into the rocky area, close to the water.  There are even a few beach umbrellas and shelters set up for those who wish to lounge among the rocks.  


Standing in the water and looking back up the beach


A walkway leading from where the beach used to reach (by the breakwall) to it's current location. The area around those trees is a beautiful grassy area I'm sure will be referenced later.
But no matter.  From what I hear, after a morning of digging at the tel, the sweaty and dusty team members come back to the kibbutz and jump in the lake fully clothed to rinse some of the filth off.  Digging begins tomorrow at 5 am.  More stories to tell.
Selfie at Mediterranean (Tel Aviv)

Selfie at Sea of Galilee (Ein Gev)

No comments:

Post a Comment